T2N Ultra Marathon: Running Against Doctor's Orders

By: Bobby Castilla

I got interested in ultra marathon when I was approached by my HS classmate & running buddy Ruben Fajardo's Mistah (i don't remember his name), who ran also in Camarines Sur Marathon last Sept. 26. He told me that my time (5hrs&21mins) qualifies for the death march. He was referring to Bataan Death March (BDM) marathon. With that, I started to search in the internet looking for my target ultra marathon. I found one in Cebu for 50km but is too far & another schedule for next year but it's 151km. Masyadong malayo na. Hindi ko kaya. hehehehe . . .




83Nean Runners




When we had our batch meeting for supposed plan golf tournament this year, i was told by another batch mate Noel 'Ghibz' Guevara that Vic De Lima (our leader, maestro & motivator) is schedule to run 50km from Tagaytay to Nasugbo (T2N). A week before the sched ultra run, our Maestro invited our 83nean runners to have a practice run at the same route for the 50km. We will aim for only 30km run to familiarize with the terrain. I made the practice run & formally invited to register for the T2N 50km run of Philippine Association of Ultrarunners (PAU) & Bald Runner . He gave me the email address of the organizer to contact & luckily, i was accepted into race.


Running Slow Pace


Over the years, I've been playing basketball since my high school life up to this day. I was made to stop when I got injured in October 2005. I suffered a major injury while playing the sports I love. It was clear in my MRI that I had a slipped disc which for more than three (3) months I walked in pain and was told by my first doctor for operation. I consulted another Ortho-Surgeon and this time I was partially healed through medication. Thanks to the doc's second opinion. After one & half years of rest with no strenuous activity, I tried again playing basketball but now with more caution. I just played one or twice a week and at the same time into running with 83neans.




With T2N Runners




Going back to running hehehe. . . . nakalimutan ko na ata ung T2N (mahaba ang background). Since my sport is basketball, I usually jogged less than 5km to prepare for it. But until after our Maestro (who's been into running for years) invited us 83neans into running, he gave us a challenge to join a full marathon. Several batch mates took up the dare seriously including me. Having our Maestro is already a rare privilege as Ghibz had put it and I truly agree. Vicboy leads, organizes & plans for us. His preparation & planning are excellent including of course logistics. He is also a prime running recruiter. Mine is one of his recruit. Malupit talaga. parang may checklist lagi eh. . . .




Six days before our T2N race, I played in our Company basketball league and aggravated my injury. I was positioning myself for a charging foul but the refs didn't call it and instead I dropped down landing on my butt! But still I finished the game without feeling any pain until the next day. So, I immediately went to my ortho-doctor at CSMC in San Juan. I was examined, given some medication for pain and was advised to walk only & not to run for two weeks. So I thought back of T2N and still hope I could race. I could not just let this pass. Bihira lang ang mga ultra race. hehehe. . . After two days of medication, the pain was gone and by Saturday (T2N day minus 1), I tried to walk, run a little, walk , run & observed if there's still pain. I noticed that i felt fine and eventually firmly decided on the last hour to race.




Running against doctor's advise


The night before the race, I slept early but before I closed my eyes, I got a txt msg from our Maestro reminding me of the time to leave Manila for Tagaytay! I woke up 15 mins before midnight and left my house at 1am to meet Orly at Benpres Building then to pick-up our Maestro in Sucat!




The race started on time and I started to walk first and when I looked behind me, there I saw four runners & decided to run to catch up with other runners. My pace was very slow because I'm worried about my injury where pain can strike me anytime. You know when you have injury like mine, it's a threat always to have it become worst to the point that you cannot manage the pain & face the process of operation. At km 10 to 20 mark, I felt OK and still fine when I reached km 30 to 40 mark. I still maintain my slow pace until km 45 when suddenly, I felt something on my right leg. Cramps is knocking on me. hehehe. . . so I slowed down; sometimes walk, then run again. I was thinking if I was dehydrated or something. After I analyzed, I conclude that it was due to my injury. Since I have this, my right leg blood flow is abnormal. Blood circulation on some of my veins is being blocked by the disc that slipped pointing to 3 O'clock on my lower back. I think on my L4 or L5 of the spine. Luckily, I could still run. I finished the 50Km T2N race at 6hrs & 39mins. When I looked at the finishers list, i placed 90th overall!




At the finish line with Maestro Vicboy (L) & BaldRunner (R)


What an experience, thrill & excitement! I was transformed (in less than a year) from a mere jogger to a runner then marathoner and now an ultra runner. Runners & their support are very friendly & accommodating. Runners really knew what they needed. It helps a lot. To our Maestro Vicboy, thank you so much for providing our support & logistics. Also to Jeric & Mike (Vicboy classmates at Milo Apex) and specially to Orly (Driver/support & photographer). Lastly, to 83neans who support & pray for us. Thanks as well to PAU & Bald Runner.




Finishers with Maestro (C)




To 83nean runners & soon to be runner, see you all at the next race!
 
Dios Mabalos!


 - Bobby Castilla

November 22, 2010 ; 1:04 AM ;





Previous Posts
• Unilab 21k - 4 Taps - Key to My Cool Run :-)
• Another Reason to Encourage your Kids to Run: Run...
• TAGAYTAY TO NASUGBU (T2N): My First Ultrarunning ...
• From Run With Thy Neighbors to Run with Thy Kumpadre
• kaRUNungan 2010: Every Learner, A Finisher
• Wish Me Luck On My First 50
• Pink Run of 83Neans Oct. 17, 2010
• The Wall of Marathoners
• About
• Photo gallery


Visit-o-meter