From Run With Thy Neighbors to Run with Thy Kumpadre

by: Noel 'Ghibz' Guevara

Good day fellow batchmates and friends!

My first blog post!

Glad to share with you the training run we did this morning. Originally my neighbors were supposed to join me. But after a last minute back-out, I had to scarmble for a replacement and fortunately had kumpareng Edwin Cruz to save the day! Thanks, Edwin for your very reliable support when & where most needed! 
How was it? 21k? NO. Happy to get 16.5k in 1hr 54min. Funny, but the references are separate - distance came from Pajero counter (back-up support with son & driver)! Time came from Edwin's Suunto sports watch/timer.
What happened to my reliable GPS-based Blackberry via Endomondo software? For whatever reason, it stopped! From the saved GPS tracking maps posted, you will see that @4.66km, no more GPS tracking! I noticed it when the mp3 also suddenly stopped! It only came up past 7km mark but now I had to reset to zero and that's the reason why it logged only 9.22km!
Good thing Edwin's sports watch continued to measure time and distance as well as my driver unknown to me kept his own record via car counter! Back-up is indeed always an indispensable ally!
Why we did not aim for 21k? Edwin's right knee started showing signs of pain so we have to slow down to full stop to cross check if still bearable. We even walked for 2 minutes @11k mark. @16k mark, when Edwin politely told me to go alone, I decided to end the run as well. Although I still have the energy to go for balance 4.5k left, I can't just leave him behind after all his unselfish effort to join me in haste.

Another blooper or funny moment is to check the photographs taken while running. The great shots we're expecting where nowhere to be found! What's left is what's posted here - Edwin's lone shot running & our post-run poses! My son Arlan was with us riding on the car back-up and not in any way a running "nut" like me yet. He felt as surprised as he thought they were properly taken. Yeah, right, son! He owes me big time now haha! Inspite of that, I am still happy and proud my son had to sacrifice a Friday night to early morning computer gaming & computer-based guitar lesson session just to be with me in this run! Arlan is 14 going 15 this December. By the way, 3cia, our blog maker & keeper is 12 going 13 this end of the month!
How did my body took the pounding? Good! No sign thank God of the evil "shin pain" and body aches! Looks like body is getting used to the repeated pounding now! I do hope to the rest of the gang that we will all have a great run this coming Nov.20 & 21 Unilab Run!

Tomorrow, let's pray for a sustained but safe run of Vicboy and Bob for their out-of-the- ordinary 50km run!!!

Have a great weekend to all mga Padi. Cheers!






November 13, 2010 ; 5:44 PM ;





Previous Posts
• kaRUNungan 2010: Every Learner, A Finisher
• Wish Me Luck On My First 50
• Pink Run of 83Neans Oct. 17, 2010
• The Wall of Marathoners
• About
• Photo gallery


Visit-o-meter