TAGAYTAY TO NASUGBU (T2N): My First Ultrarunning Experience. (Hopefully not the last)

By: Vicboy de Lima

“Ultrarunning seemed to be an alternative universe where none of planet Earth’s rules applied: women were stronger than men, old men were stronger than youngsters; Stone Age guys in sandals were stronger than everybody.” - from BORN TO RUN by Christopher McDougall (p. 79)

It is 5 minutes to 5 in the early morning of Nov 14, 2010 and I am a few minutes away from my very first ultramarathon (Wikipedia defines ultramarathon as any long distance run beyond the classic marathon distance of 42.195 kms): Tagaytay to Nasugbu 50K Run of the Philippine Association of Ultrarunners (PAU) or T2N for short.
T2N Runners With Coach

How time flies, and for that matter how distance flies. In late December of 2009, I bought the book “Born to Run” in a running store in Singapore. It was advertised as that “...rare book that will not only engage your mind but inspire your body when you realize that the secrets to happiness is right at your feet, and that you, indeed all of us, were born to run.”

Talk about truth in advertisement. Since finishing my reading of the book by the New Year eve of 2010, I ran my first half marathon (Condura Run in Feb), finished my first full marathon (The Bull Runner Dream Marathon in May), and recruited 3 of my Ateneo de Naga high school classmates (who have never jogged beyond 5 kms) to participate in one of the hardest marathons in the country (Camsur International Marathon in Sep). Thank you for the inspiring book Mr. McDougall of rural Pennsylvania.

Now, I will be embarking on this borderline crazy adventure of running for 50 kms, exposed to the elements (heat and/or rain) and a few shabu-powered bus drivers. For this momentary indiscretion, I have to thank my Milo Apex running clinic classmate Mark for suggesting this long run as a bonding activity for the 42K class members. He suggested it and he arranged for us to register in the T2N. More than a dozen registered from our class but only Jerick, Ian, Mike, Macoy and Rodel are those I remember as they were the only ones I was having my picture taken with at the start of the T2N.

I also have to thank our coaches (Coach Jim, Coach Sid & Coach Romy) at the Milo Apex Running Clinic for preparing our body to finish long distances. Planks, terra bands, squats, and, my favorite, carioca are words I will forever associate with my coaches from Milo Apex.

For my first ultrarunning experience, I have to invite my schoolmates from Ateneo de Naga. I tried to recruit half a dozen fellow Batch 83 runners but only 1 was inspired and crazed enough to join me in the T2N, Bobby. And it would seem he is crazier than me as he is running the T2N against his doctor’s orders for early this week, Bobby suffered an injury while playing basketball.

And, of course, I have to thank our company driver Orly who would be driving the support vehicle which will leapfrog every 5 kms to make sure that I have access to badly needed hydration (Gatorade and Coke) and food (banana, apple, jelly ace and peanuts). Plus, Orly is the man with the digital camera to provide documentary proof of this event. Thank you to my bosses in First Balfour for being supportive of my running adventures.


T2N Runners ready to go....

So here we all are at the start of the T2N in front of Picnic Groove and Development Academy of the Philippines in Tagaytay City. And tell you what, the start of a PAU-event is something out of the ordinary. For one, it looks like a lightning rally where first there was none and then in a heartbeat, the road is full of vehicles landing their precious marines, err, runners to battle. Another thing is that the start is devoid of tarpaulins advertising the race or commercial banners pushing wellness items (I guess ultrarunners need no health products). And the bonus, the race director (General Bald Runner) is something special: the most accommodating race organizer I have known to this point. He was all over the place, going from one group of runners to solitary runners checking on their condition(s). His actions point to one undeniable fact: he truly cares for the runner-participants in his own spartan way. A General Patton on a pair of New Balance. To me and Bobby, he chatted and gave advice on running a ultramarathon. He knew that we were newbies and we deserved special caring attention. Hahahaha………


Bald Runner with 2 Newbies!

The T2N run started with not much funfare and happily so. No fireworks. No TV cameras. After the singing of the Bayang Magiliw, the magigiting runners were off……………………………

Nobody took picture so please bear with this cartoon hehe!

For the first 10 kms., I was able to run stride per stride with Bobby, Jerick, Mike and Ian. But at the Cavite-Batangas boundary, I was already left behind. The designated sweeper(my euphemism for being old slow) was being true to form.hahahaha……. Same old same old where I will be running by my lone slow self.

Happily Sweeping Behind...

But this time, in my first ultramarathon, it would turn out to be different. Ultrarunners are actually more friendly, more helpful and would slow down their pace to keep company struggling runners like me. Let me cite a couple of ultrarunners.

At the 21-km mark, I was overtaken by a runner in yellow but he slowed to a walk in front of me. I saw on his left sleeve the words “Titanium Runner.” He is the running blogger of that name(http://titaniumrunner.net/). For the next 4 kms, I got to run and walk with him, boosting my confidence that I will be finishing the 50K within the 8-hour cutoff time.

'Magiting' Runner Conquering Cavite-Batangas Boundary!

At the 30-km mark, a lady runner overtook me but she slowed down so that I could catch up with her. From her lovely face and her running get up, I guessed that she is the “Running Diva” (http://jambalayamuzika.blogspot.com/). She asked me how I guessed correctly and I answered that I heard her wonderful voice singing the National Anthem at the start back there at Tagaytay. For the next 17 kms, I had the good fortune of running with her. She was very helpful with her tips on running style and management of the terrain (walk uphill, zoom downhill). Such good fortune was manifested by the fact that my pace improved to merit a personal best time of 5 hours & 53 minutes at the 42-km mark (first time I ran a sub-6 hr for a full marathon distance). Thank you very much Running Diva.

Keeping pace with a forefoot runner

So, me and the Running Diva soldiered on. As we turn right at the 47-km mark, I requested her to go on as I had to stop at the support Avanza to change socks (wet from all the cold water we have to pour on ourselves to combat the noontime heat).

The last 3 kms of this 50-km event I ran solo. Apt perhaps so as to allow me the sole pleasure of pagmumunimuni on this adventure of running longer (15k, then 21K) and longer (42k, then 50K).




Why do we run????

With Blogger Running Diva!
 I run because I love running.

Coming to mind are words from the McDougall book on the secret of the Tarahumara Indians of Northern Mexico (able to run hundreds of miles without rest and chase down anything from a deer to an Olympic marathoner while enjoying every mile of it). “..the real secret of the Tarahumara: they’d never forgotten what it felt like to love running. They remembered that running was mankind’s first fine art, an original act of inspired creation. Way before we were scratching pictures on caves or beating rhythms on hollow trees, we were perfecting the art of combining our breath and mind and muscles into fluid self-propulsion over wild terrain…..Distance running was revered because it was indispensable ; it was the way we survived and thrived and spread across the planet. You ran to eat and to avoid being eaten; you ran to find a mate and impress her, and with her you ran off to start a new life together. You had to love running , or you wouldn’t live to love anything else.” (pp. 92-93)

Nasugbu Finish Line 3 kms away !!!

And what about ultrarunning seemingly being an alternative universe where none of this earth rules apply. Well, it would seem it is. Yup, based on a couple of empirical points. Point 1 - women stronger than men : Running Diva and many more lady runners finished ahead of me in the T2N. Point 2 – old men were stronger than youngsters: Runner No. 167 (he looks older than 67 years old) overtook me at Km 15 and I don’t recall overtaking him ever at the T2N.

And since earth rules don’t apply in ultrarunning, I might as well finish (7 hrs & 41 mins) this 50-km run in a way out of my ordinary. So, 5 meters from the finish line in front of the Bahay Pamahalaan ng Nasugbu, I did the carioca amid a burst of clapping and laughter from the community of T2N finishers. Best 136th place finish ever.

Finally, I did it!!! (Taking a bow at the finish line - 50km mark)

No. 138 is 136th Finisher!

Finishers with HS classmate Bob Castilla (R)


Map with Actual GPS Route of 50K T2N Ultramarathon



A priceless and out of the ordinary experience indeed this adventure called T2N. Thank you Bald Runner & PAU.

- Vicboy “Macky” De Lima.

November 18, 2010 ; 1:33 PM ;





Previous Posts
• From Run With Thy Neighbors to Run with Thy Kumpadre
• kaRUNungan 2010: Every Learner, A Finisher
• Wish Me Luck On My First 50
• Pink Run of 83Neans Oct. 17, 2010
• The Wall of Marathoners
• About
• Photo gallery


Visit-o-meter